A new website is attempting to help Scots band together to bulk buy energy and save money.
Scots Together is free. It’s a collective energy switching idea, open to anyone in East Lothian or the rest of Scotland. It’s easy to join and could potentially save you money on your energy bills. That’s surely worth a few minutes of your time?
Here’s how it works:
1. Find a recent utilities bill
2. Go online to scotstogether.com
3. Enter your details and have a look at the deal Scots Together has organised by getting lots of people in Scotland together to bulk buy electricity and gas. The more people that sign up, the better the deal gets. If there’s a different deal that’s better for you or you’re already on the best possible price then they will let you know.
4. Decide whether to switch or not. There is no obligation. If you decide you want to switch, you need to accept the offer by 17 March 2013.
5. Pass it on. The more people that sign up, the better the deal for everyone else.
If you want to talk to an adviser first or you want to refer someone that doesn’t have internet access, there’s a freephone advice line 0800 408 0155.
Environmental charity Changeworks is co-ordinating the initiative in Scotland and will engage with householders in areas covered by the five partner Councils — one of which is East Lothian Council. There is also a Consumer Frequently Asked Questions PDF you can view for further background on the scheme.