The full report, Connecting Dunbar – Local Travel Survey 2011 is available online, and the key findings are summarised below.
- Bike ownership rate for survey area is around 2.5 bikes per household
- 65% of bikes are not used regularly, around 8000 in Dunbar alone
- Mainly used for journeys to school and recreation, only 9% of work trips are made by bike
- Our surveys suggest that almost 5000 trips are made by bike each day in Ward 7.
- Our surveys suggest that around 13000 walking trips are made each day in Ward 7.
- Car ownership rate for survey area is around 1.3 cars per household
- 7000 local trips (less than 5km) are made in Dunbar each day by car
- Almost 450 local trips (less than 5km) are made in East Linton each day by car
- Over 1100 trips are made by car from Ward 7 into Edinburgh each day.
Attitudes to Sustainable Transport
The main incentive for using the car less in the future would be:-
- 40% cost
- 24% environmental
- 21% health/exercise
Measures which would help people to use their car less include
- 20% better public transport
- 10% better cycle routes
- 10% nothing
- 10% cheaper public transport
- 5% better bus service to villages
- 5% being fitter