PWAs (Progressive Web Apps) are a new technology that combines the best of mobile web and the best of mobile apps to create a superior mobile web experience. A PWA is a website that can be installed on the phone like a native iphone or android app and can be accessed from the phone’s home screen instead of the browser.
By launching such an app users can interact with your website through an app-like interface.
Returning visitors will experience almost-instant loading times and appreciate performance benefits!
Want to Try it?
- Open up EPU in a supported device and browser (not Firefox though).
- Add the website to your home screen either from the Add to Home Screen prompt (Chrome for Android) or from the browser menu.
- Open the app from your home screen and you will see the splash screen.
- Turn off your data and wifi to go offline and open up the app. You will still be able to see the app and browse the pages you have already visited.
- Browse to a page that you haven’t visited before. The offline page will be displayed.
Starting with Safari for iOS 11.3, Apple devices offer partial support for PWA technology. You add your app by tapping the “Add to Home Screen” button in the share menu (ask your children if you don’t know what the share button looks like).
Experimental and available only on special request